Saturday, February 13, 2010

What I Learned - Week 3

You didn't miss much last week: it was boring! But this week is particularily interesting!

It seems that Calculus III is Calc I and II in 3d, which makes for some cool pictures, and even more so makes me extremely thankful for computers! Imagine doing this by hand (you can see by the angled edges that the computer even had some troubles!):


This is the graph of the vector-valued function r(x)={cos(5x),sin(x),sin(6x)}.

In literature I wrote an essay about Nietzsche (famous for saying "God is dead", among other witty aphorisms), Aristotle (famous for saying "By nature, all men desire to know"), and the Catholic Church (popular culture doesn't seem to care what they say...) and the agreement between the three. You can see the difficulty: you got an atheist, a pagan who was philosopically very Christian, and the Church. You can read it here!

Interest theory is by far the coolest. We have been working with annuities, which is a fancy word for repeated payments. Would you take this deal (I would'nt!):

The effective annual interest rate is 4%. You pay me $300 today
and I will pay you $0.50 a day forever - you'll make your money back in two years!


And economics is boring. The subject is wildly interest, but the monotonous pace that it is taught at is as obnoxious as the immature freshman who occupy the class' seats... we have been talking about supply and demand for a week and a half now. I figured that was common sense.

And accounting really is boring, the subject that is. I'll spare you the gorey details, but this week we learned about various ratios to analyze a company's position in the short and long-term.

No comments: